Bada Bagh is also known as Barabagh which actually means ‘a big garden’ that is situated on Ramgarh road. Maharawal Jait Singh strated to commission Bada Bagh in early 16th century and after his death Lunakaran, his son completed it.
There are three things at the sight to see, a dam, a garden and a tank. A pillar is constructed in the surrounding areas known as Govaedhan Stamb, it is constructed to observe the construction of tank and dam.in the local language the tank and the dam are called as Jait Sar and Jait Bandh respectively. The Jaith bandh is about 350 feet in width and 1200 feet in length.
History – Bada Bagh in Jaisalmer
A descendant of Maharawal Jaisal Singh, the founder of the state and Maharaja of Jaisalmer, Jai Singh II (1688–1743), commissioned a dam to create a water tank during his reign in the 16th century. This made the desert green in this area.
After his death on September 21, 1743, his son Lunkaran built a beautiful garden next to the lake and a chhatri (Hindi for cenotaph) for his father on a hill next to the lake. Later on, many more cenotaphs were constructed here for Lunkaran and other Bhattis. The last chhatri, meant for maharaja Jawahar Singh, dates from the 20th century and remains unfinished after Indian independence.
The gardens are largely neglected, but the hill with the cenotaphs is still quite an interesting sight.